Beauty, Culture, Exoticism and Uniqueness
Our family has its roots in East Africa. We are passionate about Zanzibar and love the Island, the people and its spectacular
natural environment. When we came to Zanzibar over 25 years ago, and set foot on our world renowned beach, we decided to
use our degrees from the Cornell School of Hotel Management to combine the highest standards in hospitality with the
personalization and warmth of a family owned and run business reflecting the beauty, culture, exoticism and the uniqueness
of Zanzibar. We are not a chain and we have no formula and.. no, we do not have a fleet of resorts in other Indian Ocean
islands. We are here, in every sense of the word.
We did not choose our location by accident. We are located on a beautiful, peaceful beach chosen by Conde Nast Traveler as
one of the top island beaches in the world. Of course, when we came, hardly any journalists or travel writers had ever visited
our beach-we were true explorers, searching for the perfect spot. We are delighted that the most prestigious Travel magazine
in the world approved of our choice!
Why the South East Coast?
We might be a little bit biased, but we really do feel that the South East Coast gives visitors the chance to see and feel the real Zanzibar beach experience.
- En route to The Zanzibar Collection is the Jozani forest, home to the Red Colobus monkey. A species unique to Zanzibar.
- We are located in a part of Zanzibar that is relatively undeveloped with few hotels, charming fishing villages and a spectacular natural environment.
- Our beach is simply one of the best in Zanzibar, if not East Africa, if not the world.
- Our beautiful coral reef which stretches across our coast, makes swimming safe, snorkeling spectacular and has ensured that we have the finest white powder sand beach.
- We are a quick drive to Kizimkazi, home of the famed Dolphin laguna where you can swim with Dolphins. Add to that breathtaking diving, water sports and reef safaris and you can experience the great variety of marine life that has makes Zanzibar special.
Our Proudest Contribution
One of our proudest achievements has been the wonderful journey of training and educating an entire generation of Zanzibaris and Tanzanians in
developing a skill that they can use for the rest of their lives. We have committed ourselves to training and employing local Zanzibaris through our
Zanzibar hospitality education programs. English classes are provided for our staff. Many of our best managers have risen through the ranks to achieve
their full potential. It is a testament to us that world renowned, international hotel companies in Zanzibar try to poach our staff on a regular basis. An
annoying habit that we nevertheless consider to be a feather in our cap.
Zawadi is a painstaking architectural interpretation of Swahili design and features handcrafted details that have been incorporated in the architecture
to celebrate skills of the local craftsmen. We have honored and reinforced iconic designs, traditions and skills in a celebration of Swahili design. The
name Zawadi itself means “meeting place” and represents community, social interaction, and relations. We searched to find craftsman on the island
who were skilled in the art of cement carving. As a result, beautiful diverse handmade designs inlaid in plaster are a feature on all the Villas and
All the Zanzibari furniture in Zawadi is hand made by local artisans who have perfected the art of wood carving, for which Zanzibar is so famous.
Architecturally, Zawadi itself is a journey through the grand, beautiful designs of the style of Sultans Palaces of Zanzibar. We feature traditional Swahili
dancers and singers and our Taarab band plays music that would have been heard in the Court of Sultan bin Said in 1880. This is our effort to support
and celebrate the cultural identity of Zanzibar and preserve this iconic art form.